#21 antonoyuwono

antonoyuwono

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for the information..
So one destination board is put on each side of the carriage?
One on the left side and one on the right side?

The return destination board is kept behind the destination board
that is being used for the route?

I once read ( I forgot where ) , that the current route destination board
is put on one side of the carriage , while the return destination board
is hung upside down on the other side..

anyway..thanks for the infos

best regards from jakarta

antono

#22 Kurt Möller

Kurt Möller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

Antono, practices have differed re this. Obviously, the most natural thing in older days seems to have been AT LEAST one OUTSIDE d. board on each side of the vehicle(s) destined for either a side line station, or an intermediate station along the main line (some railways preferred to reduce their train consists whenever possible), or the train´s terminating station.

Another idea (frequently practised with more modern passenger stock) is to have d. boards only inside the door windows.

In Sweden, fifty years ago, it was common practice to hang d. boards on the outside of every coach (pegs were installed in the middle of every car side) AND also, at least with long-distance trains, small cardboard signs in every vestibule. This made it easier for the passengers to orientate themselves if they had boarded the train in a great hurry...

PS - Dest. boards were made of sheet metal, with the common route destinations painted in black on their respective sides - STOCKHOLM/GOTHENBURG, STOCKHOLM/MALMÖ(COPENHAGEN), STOCKHOLM/GÄVLE, FALUN/GÄVLE, STOCKHOLM/OSLO, and so forth. These were usu. fairly low ones - higher ones were used whenever extra text was required, such as the name of a particular express train: "Göteborgaren" etc., often in red.
/ kurt

#23 antonoyuwono

antonoyuwono

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

Thanks a lot Kurt..

I'll try to search for more informations re this matter..
and will report back in this forum..

regards

antono

#24 Pierre Birgé

Pierre Birgé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

Kurt, Antono was asking in relation to teak CIWL carriages, so they only had outside boards, they didn't have the modern A4 (or approx. A4) size destination boards inside.

Antono, I have no handy illustration of the destination boards on teak carriages, but here is one dating to May 1967, on a steel CIWL sleeping car:

Posted Image
CIWL U Hansa type sleeping car no. 4591. København, May 1967. Photo Gunnar W. Christensen

You can just see that the destination plate says " København - Paris " on the top, with the main intermediate mentioned below.

The return destination board was not kept behind. The return destination board is the same board. The other side of the board is painted " Paris - København ". When the destination is reached, the boards are removed, and hung back to front. The front of the board is one way, and the back of the same board is the other way.

As you can see, it is not possible to hang the board upside down, as the top holes are not symmetrical with the bottom holes.
Pierre

#25 antonoyuwono

antonoyuwono

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:43 AM

Hi Pierre ,

Thanks for the photographs..
I did notice the top holes are in different position with the bottom holes..
So it clears the problem on how the d.boards are put in place.

Now ( and it is another problem entirely ) , if you remember my first
posting , I mention that Marklin only gave us 4 d.boards sticker , whilst
they sell 5 carriages set! ( in 42754 set )

Can't someone in Marklin counts correctly?
and why didn't Marklin informs on how to paste the d.boards correctly?
( there is a picture of suggested train composition , but no mention
regarding which side to paste the d.board , and then in the train pictured,
there are 5 carriages , all bearing the same d.board "nord express"
paris to varsovie.. while in the d.board paper marklin provide , we only
get 4 pieces of the d.board Nord Express from paris to varsovie --- the other 4 are for the return trip )

and to confuse things further , from the 4 the d.board paper for Nord
Express , 2 are written as paris-varsovie , and the other 2 as paris-
warschau.. yes I know that Varsovie and warschau are the same ,
but is it correct to have d.boards on 1 train that carry city names
with different languages?

oh..well , maybe I complained too much about marklin..

Thanks guy

#26 JLL

JLL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

Thanks a lot Kurt..

I'll try to search for more informations re this matter..
and will report back in this forum..

regards

antono

Hi all,
I found these posts by chance and I think clarify a lot about the destination boards on CIWL teak carriages.
I would like to ask to those who are familiar with the reproduction made by Marklin (or Trix) of CIWL Set ref 42755 about certain transferes (or decals) contained in it.

In particular, those black transfer with white lettering, that I think are related ONLY with the "Balkanzug". Where is placed those transfers and how many?

Thank you for your help. As I´m not familiar with the methodology here, i don´t know how to enclose a photo taken by me
Cheers

#27 JLL

JLL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Most of the teak carriages had two places per side for the destination boards, but the vast majority of old pictures only show one destination board per side per carriage.
Whether on the left or the right seems to be at random. Often in one train all the boards were in the same position, but not always.

The routing for the return journey is on the back of each destination board. The destination boards were never hung upside down, and they cannot be because they are not symmetrical along on horizontal line.

Hi Pierre,

I read your post by chance, and I would like to know if the teak package wagon(s) shows that destination boards too or not. I recently bought the Marklin CIWL Set 42755 and I don´t Know if the package wagons shows them.

Hope these links works:

http://images.google...rl=h ... N&um=1

Could you help? Thank you

http://images.google...rl=h ... N&um=1

#28 Pierre Birgé

Pierre Birgé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hi JLL,

I'm not sure that I can help you, because I do not have this set, and I am not sure what the "Balkanzug" transfers are exactly.

Coming back to the subject of destination boards, if you look at your models, you will see three dots, in a sort of triangle (two at the top, one central lower down), below some of the windows (see pictures of Frits Osterthun's models on Märklin Orient Express 2008 (42755) released). Those three dots represent the metal destination board holders. Therefore those are the location for model destination boards too.
Pierre

#29 JLL

JLL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

Thank Pierre,
So, baggage wagon should fit destination board too.

Regards

#30 Frits Osterthun

Frits Osterthun

MD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

New 2015.... Märklin 42795.

A very beautiful set (but not in my posession either).

M42795-1-1203.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users