#1 Dick Carter

Dick Carter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

New Item 2008 News can be found on

www.modellbahnecke.de

Look under german language flag for Piko, Wiking and Roco (list only) information.

Anyone found the Roco Brochure yet ?

#2 Jon Russell

Jon Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

Piko full new items catalogue can be found at www.lokshop.de

#3 Frits Osterthun

Frits Osterthun

MD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

Roco has launched her News 2008 on her own site with pictures.

Frits

http://www.roco.cc/content.php?id=1474

#4 Hans Boldt

Hans Boldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:46 AM

Neuheitenprospekt von Brawa

#5 Peter Ellis

Peter Ellis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationIstria

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

Deeply disturbing! I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer bring out so many highly desirable items in a single year before. Their master makers are incredibly prolific, presumably using digital techniques.

At a time when so many of the old railway model firms are having difficulties, Brawa seems to be romping away.

Pity about prices. My wallet is going to get hammered!

#6 John Woodall

John Woodall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

Hi Peter,

I think that Brawa have either developed a niche market for themselves, or have tapped into an extremely profitable niche market.

In 1985 Marklin started producing K.W.St.E. outline equipment. Since then they have made 4 locomotives (C, K, T5 & T18), one type of passenger car and a limited number of wagons. Brawa have made an AD, Fc, Hh, T5, T3, & Tn. They have produced 4 types of passenger cars and a few freight wagon types.

While there may have been a market for K.W.St.E. outline equipment, it was not really that well served by RTR producers. The question is whether Brawa are awaking a specific interest in people, or merely adding and building on it.

Brawa are working off a totally different production model to everyone else. Whereas most produce a specific item for a number of years, effectively Brawa produce a model for one year. Sure they reproduce it the next year, but it has different road numbers etc.

IMHO Brawa are showing a fair amount of imagination in what they are doing. Some of us want every item on the layout to have different road numbers, but either do not have the time or the skill to do this. Brawa over a number of years allow you to buy the same item every year with different road numbers.

Personally, I do not think that Brawa are trying to compete with any of the other producers. Sure you pay a premium for Brawa items, but again IMHO you are getting excellent value for money. As to whether Brawa models will ever have the collectability of Marklin remains to be seen, but I buy them to run on my layout, not to act as shelf queens.

Personally modelling Württemberg in Epoch 2b I am now spoilt for choice. And yes the wallet will take a huge hit this year. :oops:

Kind regards

John

I seem to remember that at one stage you mentioned that you were scratch building a Einheits-Zellenwagen for Epoch 2. Murphy’s law applies!

#7 Peter Ellis

Peter Ellis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationIstria

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

Hi John

Murphy's law indeed! I never finished it and I'm wondering whether there is any point! The Brawa one is much better! I started making jigs to do a BP42 armoured train and before I could use them, Wespe brought out one, too.
We live in different times. Modern prototyping is producing increasingly unusual models in superb quality.
It is amazing the way that Brawa have transformed themselves from a producer of accessories and the occasional loco, to being a serious producer of quality model railways.

Cheers

#8 Frits Osterthun

Frits Osterthun

MD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hi John, hi Peter,

I second what you say and would like to join this fine and personal discussion about how we feel about Brawa these days.

I sometimes amaze myself in the way I 'grew' into Brawa.
As you probably know, I grew up with Märklin.
There was a time (I was about 15) that I hated and avoided plastic Relex couplers, because the metal ones were so familiar to me (M4624).

About 1984 ~ when Märklin really focused on Era 1 ~ I left that issue and focused on the new and finer looking models with (indeed) plastic couplers (M4685).

And now ~ OK, some 20 years later; comes time, comes wisdom) ~ I only run Brawa Era 1 stock on my layout behind K, C, (bay) G 4/5, T 5 and recently Hh. I don’t need to have all Era 1 Märklin releases.

With Brawa stock, I have this inexplicable feeling that my layout is now in the proper balance of landscape and rolling stock that satisfies me the utmost. I mean: these are the kind of cars and coaches I always wanted to see and approach reality as non before.
IMO Brawa models give me a kind of satisfaction that even the finer models of Märklin (left Fine Art) has never given me before. It’s more then just a kind of 'taste'.

And yes, I thought about collect ability of Märklin as well.
But why should I buy Märklin just because of its collectability?
The old stock I want to sell these days is half the prince or less than the price I paid while buying them.
A good bottle of wine makes a better price every year.

Now to be honest, some Brawa locomotives (speaking only of the Era 1 steamers) are not so good in running on a Märklin layout.
My first non-Märklin engine was the I Fc.
After that the AD (pretty bad runner). And then the worst of all: the T 3.

This experience made me hesitative to buy another Brawa locomotive for a time. The bay. G 4/5 H pulled me over the line. The Hh is better then fine, while the T5 is fabulous and outstanding (just keep the wheels clean; pretty sensitive for dirt!).

Now I'm looking eagerly forward to the wrt. Tn and pr. S9.
I’m even steeling eyes to the bay. S 2/6 in green and black.
Wow, does that one looks good. And oh boy, how am I going to tell my wife...

In short, Brawa is indeed doing a good job indeed.
I really hope this German firm will stick to (IMHO) a policy of modesty that Märklin is lacking since long.
Being good doesn't mean that people will tolerate arrogance of what kind.

Just some afternoon thoughts...

#9 willchree

willchree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

I see Brawa certainly have come up with lots of goodies,but I
see Roco have re-released the BBII Mallet.
Question? Is it re-tooled to be articulated so it does Malleting! and has that phosphor bronze haircomb pick up been kicked into touch so the model no longer needs prodding , as I found they always seemed to stall even on livefrog turnouts.
Judging from the catalogue photo it does look Mallety from the front end.
I hope they do re-release an EpII version at some point.

#10 Pierre Birgé

Pierre Birgé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

http://www.heljan.dk...12008162124.pdf :)
Pierre

#11 Frits Osterthun

Frits Osterthun

MD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

New from the Nurmberg Messe:

Posted Image

#12 Frits Osterthun

Frits Osterthun

MD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:31 AM

The Bavarian 'Badische VI h (Class 18.3) in Era 1 livery is almost at hand...

Both for Trix (22182) and Märklin (M39021) as MHI Exclusiv 2/2008.

Frits

Also see: http://www.modellbah.../html/trix.html

#13 Frits Osterthun

Frits Osterthun

MD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

Posted Image

#14 antonoyuwono

antonoyuwono

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:24 AM

Hi Frits..

Beautiful train isn't it..certainly my favourite of all trains.
I have the marklin 42754 set , do you think the new one will have the same car number with the old one?

BTW , do you know how to put the destination boards?
How many boards should be pasted to a car? ( in one car there are 4 spaces for destination boards --2 spaces on each car side )

Is it correct to paste one board on one side only? ( left hand or right handside? )
and for the return destination board , is it correct to paste it upside down?
( on the other side? )

If possible please inform with pictures..

One other thing , on the old marklin set ( 42754 ) , there are 5 cars
( 2 are baggage cars ) , but they only provide the destination boards stickers 4 pairs ( 4 for going to and 4 other for the return trip )

Didn't they should provide 5 pairs?

I have the orient express book from alba verlag , but unfortunately I don't speak german at all....
Hope you can understand my questions and have answers..

:) best regards and thanks
:)
antono

#15 Frits Osterthun

Frits Osterthun

MD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

Selamat, Antono,

Since I have none of the CIWL cars or sets, it's hard for me to explain your many questions about the destination boards and decals.

Perhaps you can have a closer look at the previously mentioned site of Wagon Lits. Hope you'lll find some answers.

Frits (just back from one week holidays)

PS: Although in German: see: http://www.wagonslit...php?p=6221#6221

#16 antonoyuwono

antonoyuwono

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hi Frits..

happy holiday..

Thanks for the information , but , regarding the link to german page CIWL forum , I'm afraid it is not much help..

We can use the translator like babel fish etc..but it is still incomprehensible

BTW , do you know when will marklin's 42755 issued?
and the new rheingold?

Actually , although the era that I collect is era I and II , I also specialize in Royal Trains and luxury trains..so it's really a wonderful surprise that marklin issue both the new rheingold and orient express this year..

best regards from jakarta

antono

#17 Frits Osterthun

Frits Osterthun

MD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hi Antono,

Märklin will release the two sets #42755 and 42760 this summer, probably around August or September, usually with some delay.
When I have the locomotive (39021), I'll give a shout.

Frits

#18 antonoyuwono

antonoyuwono

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

Ok Frits...

thanks for the info , and please inform me after you buy
them about the destination labelings..

salam dari jakarta

antono

#19 Frits Osterthun

Frits Osterthun

MD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationRotterdam

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hi Antono,
I don't intend to buy the 2 sets (too expensive and not contemporairy), just the locomotive.

Frits

Posted Image

#20 Pierre Birgé

Pierre Birgé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

Most of the teak carriages had two places per side for the destination boards, but the vast majority of old pictures only show one destination board per side per carriage.
Whether on the left or the right seems to be at random. Often in one train all the boards were in the same position, but not always.

The routing for the return journey is on the back of each destination board. The destination boards were never hung upside down, and they cannot be because they are not symmetrical along on horizontal line.
Pierre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users