2 replies to this topic

#1 John Jesson

John Jesson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

Definitely not a hobby shop, and the transport connection is a little tenuous.

Recently opened at the top of the Gotthard Pass is one of the former Swiss fortresses built during WWII, now rebuilt and restored. The lower level is now a series of environmental exhibitions and displays, while the upper level is the restored military establishment with its 15cm guns to defend the San Giacomo pass from invasion from Italy.

The transport is the funicular that connects the two levels, which is (I am told) the highest "metro" in Switzerland.

Everything is inside the mountains except for a new viewing platform from which the gun positions can be seen.

For those who are familiar with the Hotel Frohsinn, its former genial host, Paul, is one of the guides.

I can recommend walking down from the viewing platform to the Gotthard Pass buildings - very peaceful.

An article with pictures is posted on the Swiss Railways Society website (www.swissrailsoc.org.uk).

JJ

#2 Roger Marsh

Roger Marsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

Wow. Sounds like a brilliant place to visit, though unfortunately rather distant :(

#3 John Jesson

John Jesson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

Roger,

EVERYWHERE in Europe is rather distant for you. :)

Incidentally, I discovered the answer to an old puzzle through my visit. That was how come a couple of elderly CIWL coaches were perched on concrete pillars somewhere up in the mountains. The question may even have been on this website, but a good few years ago, and I don't recall there being an answer.

It seems that, during the 1920's, Mussolini ordered the building of a road up to the San Giacomo pass (a border with Switzerland only 14 km from the southern entrance to the Gotthard tunnel). To prove it was possible to get heavy artillery over the pass, he also ordered that the 2 coaches should be taken there. For a time they were used as a restaurant. The road on the Italian side is still there, but there has never been a corresponding road on the Swiss side (understandably, from the Swiss point of view). The guns on display were protecting the San Giacomo pass into Switzerland.

JJ

• Roger Marsh likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users